Cleveland Police: 150 Years

Working to enhance the quality of life, strengthen Cleveland’s neighborhoods and deliver superior services with professionalism, respect, integrity, dedication and excellence in partnership with neighborhoods and the community, the City of Cleveland Department of Public Safety celebrated its 150th Anniversary of the Cleveland Division of Police. The Cleveland Police Department officially opened on May 1, 1866 and is now known as the Cleveland Division of Police.

In recognition of this momentous occasion, Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Cleveland City Councilmen Kevin Conwell (Ward 9), Matt Zone (Ward 15) and Martin Keane (Ward 17) congratulated the Cleveland Division of Police as they embark on 150 years of service to the community and to the protection of life and property in this great city. Many City officials thanked the Cleveland Division of Police and its employees for their dedication to the community for the past 150 years at an evening Cleveland City Council meeting on Lakeside Avenue. Mayor Jackson presented a proclamation to Calvin Williams, Chief of Police.

Photographer: 
Clare Walters